Point Pleasant Beach Man Pleads Guilty to Terroristic Threats and Arson

January 7, 2022

TOMS RIVER, NJ (OCEAN)–Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley D. Billhimer announced that on January 7, 2022, Shaun Giberson, 40, of Point Pleasant Beach, pled guilty before the Honorable Michael T. Collins, J.S.C., to Terroristic Threats in violation of N.J.S.A. 2C:12-3a, relative to threats made in Point Pleasant Borough on March 17, 2021.  Giberson also pled guilty to Arson in violation of N.J.S.A. 2C:17-1b(1), in connection with an unrelated incident that occurred in Manchester Township on August 18, 2020.  At the time of his sentencing on February 25, 2022, the State will be seeking a term of five years New Jersey State Prison as to each offense.  The sentences are to run concurrently.  

On March 18, 2021, the Point Pleasant Borough Police Department received a report that an anonymous caller had left threatening voicemail messages at both Point Pleasant Borough High School and the Nellie Bennett Elementary School.  A subsequent investigation conducted by the Point Pleasant Borough Police Department revealed that Giberson was the individual responsible for leaving the threatening messages.  On March 18, 2021, Giberson was apprehended by Officers from the Point Pleasant Borough Police Department; he has been lodged in the Ocean County Jail since that date.

On August 18, 2020, Officers of the Manchester Township Police Department were summoned to a local group home in reference to a backpack having been set on fire at the home.  The Officers subsequently determined that Giberson – a resident of the group home at the time – intentionally lit the backpack on fire.  He was taken into custody, processed, and released on a summons.

Prosecutor Billhimer commends Supervising Assistant Prosecutor Michael Abatemarco who is handling the case on behalf of the State, as well as the Point Pleasant Borough Police Department and Manchester Township Police Department, for their diligent efforts in connection with these separate investigations, leading to Giberson’s apprehension, guilty pleas, and soon his state prison sentence.