April 11, 2022
TRENTON, NJ (MERCER)–According to the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office, on March 3, 2022 at 4:38 a.m. the Trenton Police Department responded to a domestic dispute on Southard Street. When officers arrived, they found an elderly female, later identified as the victim Helen Nelson, 73, unconscious. An investigation revealed she was assaulted by Jermaine Picott, 48. After assaulting Nelson and another female victim, Picott fled the location.
Picott was charged by Trenton Police Department with Simple Assault (Domestic Violence), Theft (Domestic Violence), Aggravated Assault, and Criminal Attempt-Murder. He was apprehended on March 10 and has been in the Mercer County Corrections Center since.
Helen Nelson died as a result of her injuries on March 28 and the Homicide Task Force charged him with murder.
Names of the 2022 homicide victims in the City of Trenton:
- 2/15/2022 Antwone Barnes, 37, of Trenton, Stabbing
- 2/23/2022 Leonardo Fernandez, 32, of Trenton, Stabbing
- 3/01/2022 Shimon Nesmith Jr., 19, of Trenton, Shooting
- 3/03/2022 Helen Nelson, 73, of Trenton, Physical Assault
- 3/15/2022 Albert L. Barnes, 46, of Trenton, Shooting
- 3/25/2022 Sequoya Bacon-Jones, 9, of Trenton, Shooting
- 3/31/2022 Tahaad Goss, 16, of Trenton, Shooting *Under Investigation*
- 4/07/2022 Jaquir Queen, 26, of Willingboro, Shooting
- 4/09/2022 Leroy Davis, 31, of Trenton, Shooting
*Under investigation the official cause is unclear and has not been released yet.