HIGHTSTOWN, NJ (MERCER)–Around 9:00 p.m. Hightstown Police, EMS and Captial Health Paramedics MSU were dispatched to the area in front of the Hightstown Diner at Mercer and West Ward Streets. Upon arrival it was reported that Police and EMS found a juvenile that was riding a bicycle that was struck by a car. The juvenile was transported to Captial Health Regional Medical Center, Trauma Center in Trenton, NJ for treatment. Hightstown and East Windsor Police were on scene conducting a serious traffic investigation and West Ward Street was closed.
Hightstown Fire Company was dispatched to the scene to assist police around 11:00 p.m.
No further details are available at this time. Further details will be posted as information becomes available. Police are still on scene conducting a serious traffic investigation.
TRENTON, NJ (MERCER)–According to Trenton Public Information Officer Timothy J. Carroll, Trenton EMS responded to a call of general sickness on North Olden Ave., and they detected what they thought was carbon monoxide presence. Trenton Fire Department arrived and dispatched the Hazardous Materials Team, which registered extremely high levels of carbon monoxide, roughly 600 parts per million, in the rental property due to use of a gas-powered generator in the basement.
Four adults and a three-year-old child were transported to Capital Health.
Medical Helicopters were called and the sickened were transported to New York for treatment in a hyperbaric chamber that is used in cases of severe carbon monoxide poisoning.
Where was the required Carbon Monoxide Detector? New Jersey is one of 27 states that requires carbon monoxide alarms in dwellings.
A NJ State Police medical helicopter at the landing zone at Captial Health Regional Medical Center in Trenton. File photo by: Brian McCarthy
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly poisonous gas which cannot be seen, smelled or tasted. Signs and symptoms of CO poisoning may include: headaches, sore muscles, confusion, irritability, sleepiness, nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, impaired vision/coordination, fatigue, shortness of breath and death. Appliances and other items that burn fuel may be a source of CO gas (e.g., furnaces, generators, gas oven/stoves, gas dryers, wood stoves, automobile exhaust, fireplaces and lawn equipment). Unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning is common during severe weather conditions and when the heating system is first started every fall.
In addition, never use gasoline powered equipment/generators or tools, kerosene heaters, or charcoal/propane grills inside the house or in enclosed spaces; do not heat the house/ apartment with the stove. During snowstorms, clear any snow accumulation from all outside dryer, heating vents and car mufflers.
If you think you or someone you know is experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical care immediately. If the carbon monoxide detector is sounding, leave the house immediately and call the gas company or fire department. They will come out to the home and try to find where the carbon monoxide is coming from.
The best treatment is prevention. Have heating ducts, flues and chimneys inspected and cleaned regularly by a professional. Install carbon monoxide detectors in all sleeping areas.
If you have a question about carbon monoxide, remember help is just a phone call away. 1-800-222-1222.
ROBBINSVILLE, NJ (MERCER)–There are many benefits to the clean energy project that was installed in the parking lots of Robbinsville High School and the Pond Road Middle School this summer.
The school district will be saving more than $100,000 a year on energy costs and did not pay a penny for this public-private initiative approved by the State of New Jersey. There are also now solar canopies that will protect cars from the elements, while an education program is being created to use solar panels as a teaching tool for students in regard to the importance of green energy.
And, of course, the school district is also joining in the global effort to use solar as a way to fight off climate change.
“We could not be more pleased with this project,” said Schools Superintendent Brian Betze. “At absolutely no cost to taxpayers, we have been able to install millions of dollars of solar infrastructure in our parking lots, saving substantial electrical costs every single year.”
The school district contracted with HESP Solar of Montvale, which installed the two canopy systems through July and will sell excess energy on the power grid. The system will generate enough solar power to serve 300 homes.
One system is in the rear of the high school; the other is in the front parking lot of the middle school. The 5,300 solar modules will jointly produce 3 million kilowatts of electricity annually, replacing about 80% of the schools’ electrical consumption with renewable energy.
School officials negotiated the electric rate prior to the rise in inflation, at 4.7 cents per kilowatt hour with only a 1% increase per year, allowing the district to accurately budget its utility expenses over the next 15 years without concern of fluctuations in the market.
Nick Mackres, the district’s business administrator/board secretary, said the school district launched its solar energy program in 2015, when the district installed a roof-mounted solar system, generating 90,000 kilowatt hours per year, at Sharon Elementary School.
At the end of the power purchase agreement in 15 years, the school district could either ask the vendor to remove the solar panels at no cost, purchase the infrastructure at a discounted rate or extend the agreement.
“Every dollar I save in operations is a dollar more that can be used to fund education in the classroom and a dollar less we have to raise taxes,” Mackres said. “We are saving more than $100,000 a year at no cost to taxpayers for the betterment of all students and staff.”
School officials are eager to infuse solar energy lessons into the science and technology curriculum, explaining how the sun provides such a tremendous amount of energy that it can satisfy all of the Earth’s needs in a fraction of a day.
“This is a fantastic opportunity to bring clean energy at a reasonable price into our facilities,” said Rich Young, vice president of the Robbinsville Board of Education. “This state-of-the-art system will use the power of the sun to power our schools while saving the district tens of thousands of dollars in energy costs each year. Those savings can now be reallocated to improve curriculum and help create new opportunities for students and staff — real money that can be spent in the classroom where it’s most needed and most important.”
As part of the agreement with the solar company, the vendor will be providing additional solar panels that will be used in the classroom for lessons on green energy. Students would be able to connect a voltage meter that shows how the solar panels trap and generate electrical power.
The project also features an online kiosk, in which students and the community-at-large can track solar usage and its environmental benefits. With a little more than a month’s operation, the kiosk shows that the schools’ clean energy project is already equivalent to saving nearly 500 trees, more than 462,000 miles of driving vehicles, or offsetting more than 1 million pounds of carbon.
“I would like to express my appreciation to the school administration as well as the board of education for continuing our efforts to make the Robbinsville schools as clean and green as possible,” said Board President Vito Galluccio. “We are fortunate to be among a small contingent of school districts in New Jersey that have embraced solar energy as a way to cut energy costs while providing a new avenue of hands-on learning for our students.”
Robbinsville School District Solar System
Robbinsville Public School District recognizes our responsibility to protect the environment and is committed to reducing our carbon footprint. Each school building participates in solar energy programs to minimalize the impact our district has on the environment.
Robbinsville High School and Pond Road Middle School
The Robbinsville High School and Pond Road Middle School solar project was developed and constructed by HESP Solar, and was commissioned in the summer of 2022. The project consists of two canopy systems that jointly produce approximately 3,000,000 kWh of electricity annually, replacing over 80% of the schools’ electrical consumption with clean, renewable energy. In all, over 5,300 Waaree Solar modules were installed at Robbinsville High School & Pond Road Middle School for a total of 2.6 MW dc with 33 string inverters converting the solar energy into usable electricity.