September 21, 2022
TRENTON, NJ (MERCER) – Mayor W. Reed Gusciora ceremoniously cut the ribbon at the completed rehabilitation of Montgomery Street Plaza this week. Connecting historic city landmarks to the Mill Hill neighborhood, the plaza adds to the list of Trenton’s historic sites that have undergone recent restoration efforts.
The plaza is an important downtown site adjacent to the Mill Hill Playhouse, the Douglass House, and Mill Hill Park. The project restored roadway paving within the plaza with new Belgian block pavers, revised the paving pattern and material at the base of the George Washington statue with salvaged granite setts and restored the existing brick sidewalks around the plaza with the salvaged brick pavers from the base of the statue.
Mayor Gusciora was joined by North Ward Councilwoman Marge Caldwell-Wilson, South Ward Councilman George Muschal, community members, and Director of Recreation, Natural Resources, and Culture Maria Richardson.
“It is a privilege to have as much lasting history in a City as we do here,” Mayor Gusciora said. “Through consistent restoration efforts, we will continue to preserve sites and structures like these for future generations of Trentonians to learn from.”
The completion of the Montgomery Street Plaza restoration follows the rehabilitation of the 1888 Pratt Truss bridge over the Assunpink Creek, the restored exterior lighting of the Mill Hill Playhouse and the installation of a new HVAC system for both the playhouse and Douglass House. The city is dedicated to continuing these projects including ongoing and/or proposed historic restorations at Battle Monument Park, the 1796 East Trenton Community Center/Library, Cadwalader Park, and more.