Children Dropped From Windows In Raging House Fire In Trenton; 11 Displaced, 1 Burned

November 1, 2022

TRENTON, NJ (MERCER)-Sometime around 3:50 a.m. the Trenton Fire Department was dispatched to the 200 Block of Hamilton Avenue near Hudson, for a house fire with reports of entrapment. Initial reports from the first arriving firefighters reported heavy fire on the second floor and were starting primary searches.

City of Trenton, Public Information Officer, Timothy J. Carroll told that it was a three-story building with two apartments and the fire was located on the first floor. Due to inability to exit through the interior stairs, kids were dropped to people and responders through windows. A Person rescued from 2nd floor by way of ground ladder. One male victim had burns due to trying to remove mattress from a bedroom on fire.

Carroll, also stated that eleven people were displaced and the Red Cross responded to assist the displaced residents.

Investigators from the New Jersey Division of Fire Safety and the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Officer were on scene investigating.

This is the second house fire overnight where people had to jump or exit though windows to the street below. The fire was reported at 24 Tyler Street and multiple people had to be rescued and there were reports of serious burns.

Please make sure that there are working smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms and a fire extinguisher in your home as required by NJ Uniformed Fire Code. See requirements below.

Above photos by: Brian McCarthy